Mar 2, 2011

An apple a day...

...keeps the doctor away. I wonder what it is about the apple that makes it such a potent food - not to mention its almost spooky reputation to inspire and tempt - think Newton, think Adam and Eve. Is it just coincidence that the apple lends its name to the planet's largest tech company? Whatever it is, I think the apple was destined for great things. So began my quest to learn more about the mighty fruit. After digging around for a bit here's what I learned.

Apple has among the highest concentration of polyphenols - compounds that function as anti-oxidants and burn away fat that clogs those pipes called arteries. Getting to the heart of the matter - apple contains pectin which is a water soluble fibre known to lower cholesterol. Not just that but apple is believed to fight cancer, asthma and lower blood sugar. And if that were not enough, apple based face packs are marketed to improve skin texture, firmness and elasticity. All in all, it does sound like a package that packs a punch.

In the spirit of health, I decided to experiment with the apple. The idea was to create something tasty yet unconventional and here's what I did - made a mixture of toasted red walnuts, cranberries soaked in sherry, caramelized onions and some fresh shredded multigrain bread spiced with nutmeg.
Next, I peeled and cored an apple, stuffed it with the mixture and baked it for about 30 minutes.

I served the baked apple with a sauce of red wine, orange juice and cocoa reduced to syrupy consistency. No sugar, butter or cream - just natural flavors.


Can I say this creation is the "the apple of my eye" which my "Adam's Apple" loved?

No comments: